Don't Get Married If.....



This year my wife and I will celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary. I have grown tremendously as a man, a husband, and a Christian. My marriage has made me a better person.  I hope that this list will help you find someone who makes you the best version of yourself.



Here are 5 things to look for when choosing "the one"

1.       Do you like spending time with that person? Do you enjoy similar things?  Do you often laugh when you are together? Do you really enjoy being with each other?  Prior to marrying my wife, we were good friends. (and still are) We both loved classical music, praying, and going for long car rides. We simply enjoyed being in each other’s company and we still do.

2.       Does that person possess a good work ethic? Let’s face it marriage is hard work. Marriage is not for the lazy or the fainthearted. One of the key indicators of a happy marriage is financial stability. So, if your partner isn’t willing to work hard to provide a better life for you and your family then do not marry that person.  It is that simple.

3.       How does that person act toward other people?  How does your potential mate treat their parents, grandparents, friends, or coworkers?  Are they respectful? Humble? Generous? Selfless? Charitable? That will reveal their true colors.

4.       Are you physically attracted to that person? I know that this seems obvious, but physical attraction is very important in a marriage.  I have witnessed several couples settling for someone that they found "nice" but had very little or no physical chemistry. Unfortunately, that robs the marriage of the sensual bond. Nice is not enough.

5.       Does that person share your values?  I believe that the whole “opposites attract” thing is overrated. It is OK to disagree on the minor things, but you cannot disagree on the most important things.  For instance, religious or political differences can create very rocky roads, and life together can become unmanageable.  Agreeing on the most important things is crucial to a happy and fulfilling marriage.

Do you agree with my list?



Comments

Popular Posts