Magna Cum Laude - With a Side of Fries

While looking for something wholesome to watch, my wife and I came upon a movie called, “Waffle Street.” Based on a true story, Jim, a recently fired high profile banker finds new purpose in life through working at a fast food restaurant. I would recommend this surprisingly motivational movie to anyone who has ever worked in a restaurant.
The movie caused me to reflect on my own years in the industry. I never could have imagined how deeply enriching working in a restaurant could be. Sure, you could say - "but I'm educated" or "this is too laborious" or "this is beneath me" You can say those things, but the truth is - working in a restaurant teaches you lessons that will forever change you - in a good way.

Here are 5 things that I learned by working in restaurants:
1 -You develop grit and tenacity 
Let us face it; the industry is brutal.  It has the highest rate of failure of all businesses in America. To survive you need to get your hands dirty and develop an iron tough mindset. Whether it be inventory, money handling, employee friction, scheduling issues, cooking ability, kitchen dangers, potential liability, vendor relations, disciplinary measures, customer satisfaction, or online reviews - you need to be able to juggle it all. It's exactly like that expression "You need to act like a duck; remain cool and unruffled on the surface.... but paddle like the devil underneath."  
2 -You develop humility.
Yep, cleaning toilets, scrubbing walls, disinfecting surfaces, and mopping floors are just some of the lowly but necessary tasks. Yet these tasks are just a part of a bigger character building picture. Saint Jose Maria Escriva in the 1920's said: "That work that is humble, monotonous, and small is really prayer expressed in action - which prepares you for that other work that is great, broad, and deep."
3 - You learn the art of customer service 
Basically it comes down to smile, smile, and then smile some more. I was constantly exercising the Christian principle of “turn the other cheek.”   No matter how unpleasant and demoralizing it was, the customer was always right. Happy guests are the lifeblood of any successful restaurant. So when a belligerent bombastic customer would rant about how a dish called Spicy chicken was too spicy - your lip bleeds from biting it, but you become accustomed to exhibiting restraint; a truly valuable skill. 
4 - You learn to think quickly on your feet
You are forced to deal with angry customers, burning food, phones ringing, untimely questions, staff quitting etc.. and sometimes all at once. The ability to prioritize and make split second decisions happens a hundred times a day. It's a non stop amusement park ride that never really slows down. (and most of time - without the exhilarating thrill)
5 - You develop a thick skin
You are criticized regularly by your bosses, by your coworkers, and by your customers.  The criticisms may not always be personal, but they still sting. My favorite survival tactic was my sense of humor.  I became adept at finding the ridiculous in any given situation thereby disarming my co-workers, bosses, and customers by making them laugh. I also learned not to take myself so seriously. 

Honestly, being a conservatory trained classical guitarist and lover of all things bookish I never thought I would would be plopped in the middle of an industry that is so - well - "not me" but I would not trade in those years for anything.

I think this quote by Dr. Edward Bach (a renowned homeopathic Doctor in the early 1900's) sums up what I'm trying to say:

"Rest assured that whatever station of life we are placed; princely or lowly it contains the lessons and experiences necessary at the moment for our evolution and for the development of our best selves."

Comments

  1. great insights! I love the title. We will have to check that movie out. I think that most people have one time or another said to themselves (myself included), "I'd love to own a restaurant or bar." That thought comes from the warm experiences that we have all had as patrons at those establishments. but, WORKING at them is an entirely different experience - as you point out. Most of us who have thought those thoughts about owning a restaurant have NEVER worked in one and dont know how hard it is. My best man in my wedding has worked his whole life in the restaurant business and I have heard similar things from him too!. So, thanks for that insight.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts